Where is the line drawn? What's the difference between standing up for something you believe in so passionately and simply being a downer?
I'm about to delve into utter geekdom, but this is my life and this is my fucking blog.
Jude and I are apart of a wonderful guild on WoW. We're not insane into WoW-- it's more a fun thing to do in order to wind down after work or just an entertaining way to kill a few hours together, plus I get to kill shit-- and the people in our guild are the same way. And, being WoW, 99% of the people in our guild are male.
Which means that 99% of the people in our guild do not think about the shit they say before it comes spilling out from their keyboards onto guildchat.
The big thing right now, not just on the internet but in everyday speaking as well, is raping something or someone.
"Man, I raped that boss."
"Shit, X raped me in that duel!"
"I fuckin raped that test yesterday."
"I raped the fuck out of that druid in the battlegrounds."
"I'm going to rape my boss if he doesn't give me the day off tomorrow."
Well, I don't know about you, but I don't think raping anyone is funny at all. I think being raped is a hell of a lot less hilarious-- trust me, I would know.
Now, I've heard the rapeslang come out of a womon's mouth before-- it does happen, but I feel that's a completely different issue and I'd be happy to address it if anyone requested, but that's not the point right now. The point is that this is the new "that's gay", and it is almost always uttered by the perpetrating party. I'm not saying that anyone in my guild has raped anyone, but I'm saying that a man is a hell of a lot more likely to be a rapist than a womon. More likely? Likelier? Who the fuck knows.
This isn't an issue about personal experience. I could get into personal experience and say yes, I have been raped, far more than once both violent and not, and I do NOT appreciate my experiences being compared to the apparent anguish over your test. I'm a psychology major who was able to skip a lot of bullshit courses by testing out of them, and I've taken some pretty rough tests in my time-- let me tell you, I have never taken a test that even compared to the excruciating pain of surviving after sexual assault. I can promise you that the boss you just defeated was much easier than dealing with the nightmares of my past non-consensual sexual experiences; I can guarantee that the battleground was exponentially easier than when the man who violently attacked and raped me in high school walked into my workplace and not only recognized me but winked at me; I WILL SIGN A CONTRACT IN MY OWN BLOOD stating that the suffering you experienced from being trolled on tradechat could never bat a fucking eyelash to the look on my partner's face as I had to tell him to stop having sex with me because he simply breathed in my ear the wrong way and I couldn't stop the memories from flooding my brain.
I could get personal, but I won't.
oops, I just did.
But can you see why I'd get a little fucking pissed?
What's funny is it's not even that. All that rage up there ^^^ ? That's not even why I'm pissed.
I'm pissed because the topic of rape is apparently something we joke about now.
I'm pissed because rape is not recognized.
I'm pissed because 14 year old boys don't even grasp the concept of why rapeslang is wrong.
I'm pissed because rape isn't a big deal.
I'm pissed because I can't say anything about how offended I am without someone telling me to lighten up.
I'm fucking livid because I have had more than one person tell me
"It's the internet, what are you going to do?"
well, I have a reply to that, ready and waiting.
Are you ready and waiting?
Because here it is.
You sure you're ready?
Okay, if you're positive...
FUCK.
YOU.
I'm sad that's the largest the font will get.
Fuck you. That's the internet? I should expect that? Fuck you.
FUCK YOU.
There is a human being behind every single one of those keyboards that are spewing this into my face. I've heard it from my friends, I've heard it from my mum and my family, I've even heard it from Jude and to every single one of them, I have this to say:
FUCK.
YOU.
I'm done just letting it slide. I'm fucking done. This blog started as a "Where do I draw the line? Ooh, I'm Arden and I question things and feel angst and smoke cigarettes like a cool kid" entry, but fuck that too. If I have to leave the guild I will, but I'm done putting up with this shit. I don't put up with it from friends, I don't put up with it from family, I don't put up with it from anyone that I come into contact with in reality, so goddamn it I'm not going to put up with it in guildchat.
I get kicked from the guild?
GOOD.
Fuck you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

First... just started reading your blog and I really like it, though you don't give a flying fuck haha. Second, I hate that rape is tossed around so casually like that. That's one perfect example of why I hate the internet. I love the internet to death but it's also one of the worst inventions ever, at least for those who don't know how to use it. Anyways, in short, I agree with you.
ReplyDeleteYep, count me as the lone male who agrees with you haha. I'm very good at agreeing, if you're right, which you are haha. Yeah, actually I have no problem with the internet, it's just the people on it, but I try not to let it get to me either. I guess that's another rant for another time though haha. Seriously though kids, it is unfortunate that those kinds of phrases are so popular on the internet and games. Antiquated indeed. Sure, I don't mind at all; follow away!
ReplyDelete